With so much uncertainty in the world right now, one thing we know for sure…buying locally grown fruits and vegetables directly from the source is a solid decision. With several farms in the area, and a weekly farmers’ market here and in surrounding towns, plentiful options exist for farm to table goodness.
Why buy from farmers?
1. You are buying food during its local growing season at its freshest and, oftentimes, the items were just plucked from the dirt right before hitting the farm stand
2. Besides being a great method to discover new culinary ingredients (golden beets, anyone?), the farmers can easily tell you some of the best ways to use and prepare their produce
3. You’re supporting local families in your community
4. Because you’re skipping the “middle man,” you may find you’re actually saving money versus shopping at a more conventional grocery store
5. You’re helping the environment! Did you know that food travels an average of 1500 miles before it ends up on your plate? By focusing on buying local produce, you’re cutting down on fuels that unnecessarily pollute the environment
6. It’s a great social atmosphere. When stopping by the farmers’ market, you’ll likely run into friends and neighbors, and sometimes even catch a live musical act from a local artist